Wednesday, July 8, 2009

#8 the iPhone


Oh. my. god. My mom would have gone CRAZY over this phone/technology. In fact, I honestly believe that if Apple had come up with this brilliant device just 5 years earlier, my Mom might still be here today. But that's another story.

Let me start at the beginning.. We had a computer in our house for as long as I can remember. I played with DOS and the blue screen in between bouts of trying to beat Aladdin on our Super Nintendo. The first time I actually remember getting on the Internet was in 1997, when we still lived in Sherman. I think I was 10, 11? I chatted in Yahoo chat, using completely inappropriate screen names (of which I had no idea were inappropriate at the time). I made my first webpages with Angelfire. And it was my mom who introduced me to all of it. I remember it so vividly you'd think it was a turning point in my life, but then again, maybe it was.

Over the years, she became completely addicted to the Internet. She would spend hours in chat rooms and playing online games. My sister had already moved out, so this was something that only I witnessed. I've never really talked about how bad it got, and definitely don't plan to do that here, but I realize now that, because she was so mesmerized by the Internet, I became so, too. It was an outlet, and I was online as much as possible. Not only would I have killed for an iPhone when I was 15, I think my mom would've loved it, too. The idea of checking your email and being in contact with people CONSTANTLY is something she never even fathomed, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment