Sunday, September 20, 2009

#13 The Beatles Sing-a-long at the Drafthouse

One of my favorite things to do in Austin is go to the Alamo Drafthouse. It isn't just a movie theater. It's an experience. It's food, drinks, midnight showings of Harry Potter and Twilight, singalongs, quote-alongs, dance-alongs. It is some of the best nights of my college life--spent singing at the top of my lungs to the Spice Girls at the Pop Princess Singalong or dancing on stage to Thriller at the Michael Jackson memorial singalong. It's sharing a pitcher of their famous sangria with best friends.

I've been going back to Austin a lot this summer, which I have jokingly referred to as my endless summer of unemployment. I plan to go back to Austin yet again in just a few days, so I've obviously been stalking the Drafthouse calendar for sometime now. Today I noticed that they are having a Beatles singalong, and I know that I must attend. Mom loved the Beatles (which I'm sure you've noticed by now with the Across the Universe and Abbey Road posts). I remember her telling me stories about her listening to the White Album and to "Why Don't We Do it in the Road" in her room as at 16 years old (and how much my grandma disapproved of the song).

Mom loved movies, too. I know she would love the Drafthouse. I never really thought about "going downtown" or anything like that with my mom, and maybe it wouldn't have been any fun at all, but when someone dies, you tend to imagine everything much more positively than realistically, and although I can't actually imagine dancing and singing with my mom in a drafthouse setting, I would like to think that maybe it would have been possible.

I hope it's a good singalong. I'm excited for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment